In the borders

A travelogue. One which does not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or United States Peace Corps.

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

overdue update

I know I've been pretty silent lately, but now that SCHOOL'S OUT, I can write a bit more. (...maybe) There was a request that I describe my average working day, so I'll see to that.

While school was in session, I taught 17 lessons a week. I taught students between the ages of 10 and 17, with drastically varied levels of English. With the best students, I almost never spoke Russian; with the worst, I had to fight to use English myself, let alone get them to speak it. Most of the time, I enjoyed myself, but one of the most difficult things about teaching in this country is the lack of discipline. The most a teacher can do is give the student a bad grade for the day, and the severity of this punishment depends entirely on whether or not his parents care. There is no suspension, no expulsion, and most important of all, no failing, in this country's educational system. No matter how well or how badly a student does, he will always continue to the next grade.

This said, I actually enjoyed my time with my students. For the most part, they are good-natured children, and they like me.

Additionally, here is a salad recipe that helped me greatly when the weather was so terribly hot. It is for chicken and grapefruit.

Ingredients:
1 chicken breast (small-medium)
1 young cabbage
1 grapefruit
Mayonaise to taste

Cut the cabbage and grapefruit to mouth-sized pieces. Poach the chicken. When the chicken is done, pull it apart with forks. Toss all in a bowl, and add enough mayonaise to hold it together. Enjoy!

1 Comments:

Blogger Hubert said...

That sounds like an amazing recipe. Having only recently developed a taste for grapefruit, I now can't get enough of it. And since I'm just a hop, jump, and a skip away, I'm sure my family will love it as well.

5:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home