Metrics, Mindsets, and Mesmeric Good Looks
Holy Metric System, Batman! and the Stranian Mindset
While certain aspects of the Metric system remain beyond me (length, and to some extent, temperature), I am totally acclimated to the weight system, in so far as it relates to cooking. I will have to work hard to continue to think in cups, because I’ve totally begun thinking “That should be about 200 grams or so.” I didn’t even try! It just happened! I don’t know if I feel like a traitor to the Imperial system, or like an advanced being– possibly both,
As for the Stranian mindset (ha- I sound like an English textbook), one of the more interesting aspects is the lack of emphasis placed on individuality. Your first response might be “Oh, what a shame.” It’s true that when you ask students to describe themselves, they tell you about their families, where an American teenager wouldn’t be able to stop talking about hir ideas. Even in the aforementioned English textbooks, it is written that you must do what is best for your country, family, friends, and lastly, yourself.
However, this does have a few advantages. When I taught a Don’t Do Drugs lesson, I didn’t even have to bring up societal consequences; they did it for me. The idea that you might lose your friends and family was almost as horrifying as addiction for them. And while they do view cheating as a type of support, they also genuinely take care of each other. In the middle of a 7th form lesson, one of the boys raised his hand to tell me that Yulya wasn’t feeling well. I asked if she needed to go to the nurse, and when she said no, the boys said, “Yes, she does!” and insisted that she go. I went to a school that placed great importance on having kind students (which we were, by and large), but I don’t think that ever would have happened when I was in middle school. It’s really very sweet.
28th March, 2007
Pretty
I think I’ve mentioned the facts that 1) the women in this country put a lot of effort into dressing well, and 2) the young women in this country are extremely attractive. A fair estimate might be that 7 out of every 10 women is nice-looking, and that maybe 4 or 5 out of every 10 is really beautiful. For male PCVs, it’s sort of like Field Day, but for the women, it can often be depressing, as it is compounded by the fact that the young women here are unusually thin (at least by American standards).
At first, I felt a little uncomfortable. I brought along dowdy, practical clothes (hey, this is the Peace Corps), and I was heavier than the other young girls. However, a month or so ago, I gave in and bought genuine hooker boots. That was the beginning of the end; most days, I wear some make-up, earrings and my hair down. It seems to work; a large percentage of my town has no idea who I am.
The interesting development, however, is that I have stopped feeling outclassed by the local girls. I don’t know if all this frippery would have the same effect stateside, but I have begun to feel pretty. At home, once every few months or so, I have a ‘gorgeous day’– when I knew the real reason that every man on the street wasn’t following me around was that I kindly wasn’t winking at them. Here, this is a pretty normal feeling for me. I don’t know if it’s the way the culture imposes your role on you; thus, at home, there are a wide range of things I might be, but here, I am young, I am female- ah, djevushka, krasavitsa, pretty girl! Nevertheless, I am enjoying it.
Friday, 6th April, 2007
While certain aspects of the Metric system remain beyond me (length, and to some extent, temperature), I am totally acclimated to the weight system, in so far as it relates to cooking. I will have to work hard to continue to think in cups, because I’ve totally begun thinking “That should be about 200 grams or so.” I didn’t even try! It just happened! I don’t know if I feel like a traitor to the Imperial system, or like an advanced being– possibly both,
As for the Stranian mindset (ha- I sound like an English textbook), one of the more interesting aspects is the lack of emphasis placed on individuality. Your first response might be “Oh, what a shame.” It’s true that when you ask students to describe themselves, they tell you about their families, where an American teenager wouldn’t be able to stop talking about hir ideas. Even in the aforementioned English textbooks, it is written that you must do what is best for your country, family, friends, and lastly, yourself.
However, this does have a few advantages. When I taught a Don’t Do Drugs lesson, I didn’t even have to bring up societal consequences; they did it for me. The idea that you might lose your friends and family was almost as horrifying as addiction for them. And while they do view cheating as a type of support, they also genuinely take care of each other. In the middle of a 7th form lesson, one of the boys raised his hand to tell me that Yulya wasn’t feeling well. I asked if she needed to go to the nurse, and when she said no, the boys said, “Yes, she does!” and insisted that she go. I went to a school that placed great importance on having kind students (which we were, by and large), but I don’t think that ever would have happened when I was in middle school. It’s really very sweet.
28th March, 2007
Pretty
I think I’ve mentioned the facts that 1) the women in this country put a lot of effort into dressing well, and 2) the young women in this country are extremely attractive. A fair estimate might be that 7 out of every 10 women is nice-looking, and that maybe 4 or 5 out of every 10 is really beautiful. For male PCVs, it’s sort of like Field Day, but for the women, it can often be depressing, as it is compounded by the fact that the young women here are unusually thin (at least by American standards).
At first, I felt a little uncomfortable. I brought along dowdy, practical clothes (hey, this is the Peace Corps), and I was heavier than the other young girls. However, a month or so ago, I gave in and bought genuine hooker boots. That was the beginning of the end; most days, I wear some make-up, earrings and my hair down. It seems to work; a large percentage of my town has no idea who I am.
The interesting development, however, is that I have stopped feeling outclassed by the local girls. I don’t know if all this frippery would have the same effect stateside, but I have begun to feel pretty. At home, once every few months or so, I have a ‘gorgeous day’– when I knew the real reason that every man on the street wasn’t following me around was that I kindly wasn’t winking at them. Here, this is a pretty normal feeling for me. I don’t know if it’s the way the culture imposes your role on you; thus, at home, there are a wide range of things I might be, but here, I am young, I am female- ah, djevushka, krasavitsa, pretty girl! Nevertheless, I am enjoying it.
Friday, 6th April, 2007

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home