In the borders

A travelogue. One which does not reflect any position of the U.S. Government or United States Peace Corps.

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Finally, a good answer to 'Why are you single?'

The question single female volunteers get asked most of all is 'Are you going to get married (to a local man)?' In some cases, the answer is yes, but when it is not, it can be an uncomfortable or embarassing question. In this country, women tend to get married before 22, so many of us are like matchmaker lightning rods and a negative answer only calls forth looks of bemusement. 'Why?' is a common response.

Why, indeed. There are so many ways to answer that question. Because gender roles in this country are too entrenched for me to be comfortable dating, let alone marrying? Because I have received attention from drunks, excited potentials-in-law, and married men, but no bachelors? Or even, because guys my own age are not marriage material, but older men + shorter lifespan of males = no dice. But none of these answers would be deemed acceptable. Marriage, like labor, is the honorable duty of everyone.

However, I was recently given a super answer to this question. Visiting my host family, I was once more asked about my lack of a fiance, and this time, the point that most Americans do not marry until they are at least 25 or 26 rang hollow (probably due to the engagement of two of my friends in the past week). My host father suggested that I get together with their previous volunteer, a nice young man with whom I have no chemistry. I pointed out that he comes from the other side of the country. He argued that if my parents came from opposite sides of the country, and different races (uncertain what bearing that had to the question), then surely T**** and I could marry each other. The conversation died a natural death unlamented, until this morning, when the 6-year-old host brother asked if I had a boyfriend.

Me: No.
Him: Why?
17-year-old Host Sister: Because she is in Strana.

Good answer, kiddo. That girl has a head on her shoulders unmatched by whole legions of adults.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home